We had our first class on Strengthening Marriage a few nights ago.
Bruce and I are teaching it and the Clark's and Fry's will be attending when they can. I started by letting them know that we are not experts on marriage. We have been married nearly 30 years now and we have learned alot of lessons the hard way. We are teaching these classes because we have been asked to teach them in hopes that soon a local couple will be able to teach the classes.We decided to invite anyone who wanted to attend from any of the Branches in our area. We really had no idea how many people would attend. It's not as convenient for members to get to Church Activities in the evening here as it is at home. With so many members not having cars they have to ride public transportation and then walk for about 10 minutes on dark streets to get to the building.
We learned a long time ago that it doesn't really matter how many people attend what matters is that the person who needed to be there will get the information they came to hear. We talked about how to have a stronger marriage. We discussed date nights, and my sweet husband told about why he always has made it a priority for us to go away for a few nights every couple of months. He also mentioned how he always tried to be sure that I had time to myself to go off with girlfriends or just do something special that I wanted to do. Then we discussed how other things like Praying together as a couple, reading scriptures together help bring you closer. We talked about the importance of showing love to one another. The class ended with encouraging them to kiss each other when they wake up in the morning, to say "I love you", and to make their marriage a priority.
THIS IS THE GREAT PART
TODAY WHEN I WENT TO CHURCH ONE OF THE YOUNG ADULT WOMEN CAME UP TO ME AND SAID,
"Sister Kinghorn, thank-you for your class. The ladies are saying that their husbands have been kissing them in the morning and saying I love you. They are so happy." I quickly went to one of the Sisters who was at the class and asked did she get a kiss from her husband? and she replied, "not just one kiss, he has kissed me several times since Friday night." another sister said, when she woke up her husband said, "good morning my dear wife, I love you very much".
We learned a long time ago that it doesn't really matter how many people attend what matters is that the person who needed to be there will get the information they came to hear. We talked about how to have a stronger marriage. We discussed date nights, and my sweet husband told about why he always has made it a priority for us to go away for a few nights every couple of months. He also mentioned how he always tried to be sure that I had time to myself to go off with girlfriends or just do something special that I wanted to do. Then we discussed how other things like Praying together as a couple, reading scriptures together help bring you closer. We talked about the importance of showing love to one another. The class ended with encouraging them to kiss each other when they wake up in the morning, to say "I love you", and to make their marriage a priority.
THIS IS THE GREAT PART
TODAY WHEN I WENT TO CHURCH ONE OF THE YOUNG ADULT WOMEN CAME UP TO ME AND SAID,
"Sister Kinghorn, thank-you for your class. The ladies are saying that their husbands have been kissing them in the morning and saying I love you. They are so happy." I quickly went to one of the Sisters who was at the class and asked did she get a kiss from her husband? and she replied, "not just one kiss, he has kissed me several times since Friday night." another sister said, when she woke up her husband said, "good morning my dear wife, I love you very much".
How cool it that!!!!!!
Which reminds me of the starfish story that I have mentioned before. In summary it goes something like this......... The beach is filled with starfish that have washed ashore, one man sees another throwing the starfish one by one back into the ocean and he asked "why are you doing that when it won't matter, when the whole beach is filled with starfish. " and the man bends over and picks up a starfish and says, "it mattered to that one."
I don't care that our class on Friday was small.
Which reminds me of the starfish story that I have mentioned before. In summary it goes something like this......... The beach is filled with starfish that have washed ashore, one man sees another throwing the starfish one by one back into the ocean and he asked "why are you doing that when it won't matter, when the whole beach is filled with starfish. " and the man bends over and picks up a starfish and says, "it mattered to that one."
I don't care that our class on Friday was small.
What I care about is after Friday night one husband in one marriage kissed his wife more than he usually does and she loved it.
One wife woke up to a husband who kissed her and made her feel special.
Two more women who were not able to attend last Friday said,"I will definitely be there next week."
One of these ladies had to work last Friday but her husband came anyway. He came up to me after class and said, "I heard so many things that I hope I can remember, I want to go home and tell my wife all about it."
The attendance was low but I am pretty sure that it mattered to
someone
that we were there.
I know that I definitely saw some happy women today!!!!



4 messages from friends and family:
What a great post. Love the beautiful experiences you are having.
How cool is that?
Very cool! Awesome! Nothing feels better than knowing you made a difference in someone's life. Keep up the great work!
Way to go. It does help keep things in perspective when you don't care about how many people show up. I'll have to remember that:) and I have to agree with Siser Whitehead, it does feel good to know you have made a difference.
It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. happy Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment