June 27, 2008

PACKAGES FROM HOME

 Another Package from home. Thank you Karrissa. I am not going to post the picture of me opening this package. Let's just say I was really excited. Our daughter sent Peanut Butter, Rice Krispies, Spices, here's the part where I got a little giddy, dark chocolate covered pretzels, mini Hershey's chocolate chips, chocolate covered peanut butter pretzels, Heavenly trail mix from Trader Joe's, sesame cashews, licorice, jerky from Trader Joe's. I think this is why Bruce looks so skinny. I got all my favorite snack foods. She also sent butterscotch chips and a recipe for butterscotch rice krispie treats which the missionaries loved, especially Elder Harris. There was also an awesome double fudge brownie mix that we just recently served at District Meeting. They were so rich and gooey that Sister Ellison had to scoop out the center with her finger. I wish I had gotten a picture of that.

Thank you for sending me the recipe's. I have been running out of ideas for what to feed the missionaries. They don't really get invited to members homes too much for dinner so I try to serve them a hot meal when they are here for District Meetings.

People have asked me what kinds of foods do they have here? We have a wonderful farmers market everyday where people sell fresh fruits and vegetables. Sometimes they pick them a little too early and the fruit can be a little tart but generally it is great. We do have hamburger, chicken, pork chops, and roast. They have sauces like mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, and salad dressings. The milk products are different then in America. I have to say, I still don't like the milk. The yogurt is delicious. I love the cherry yogurt. The cheeses are different here. We have found Gouda, and Smoked Gouda, mozzarella, and a combo cheese that looks like cheddar and jack but doesn't quite taste the same. I haven't found tortillas yet. The missionaries love the juices here. I do too especially the cherry juice. We found one store that makes really good bread. Our biggest problem is they probably have more foods we cook with at home but we can't read the labels. We have found almost everything for baking, sugar, flour, eggs, butter, (we get brown sugar sent in our care package from home) baking soda, and baking powder, cinnamon are all available. We have Karrissa send vanilla. So we are doing much better with being creative in the kitchen. Thanks again for any simple recipe's you can send. I have never been much of a cook but I do want to feed the missionaries and have members over as often as we can. Thanks for all your love and support. We love you.

0 messages from friends and family:

Saints in Ukraine (put music on pause)

My music


click on the photo to see the captions

Armenia Trip

Our last Zone Conference

Some of the faces we will miss

Our trip to Mariupol

March Zone Conference in Donetsk(click on photo to view a larger version)

Missionaries helping the International Relief Development unload a container from America

Health Fair click on the photo to see what is coming up

To listen to this talk you will need to put the music on pause first

Sometimes we forget what divine gifts we have been given. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 2nd Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Thanksgiving

Look at the fun equipment we got to deliver to this internat for Special Needs children

Europe East Area District Meeting

I LOVE THESE MISSIONARIES

OUR APARTMENT (this is not an average missionary apartment)

THIS IS WHAT MISSIONARY APARTMENTS LOOK LIKE ON INSPECTION DAY

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO SEE A MORE COMPLETE VIEW

LEADERSHIP TRAINING IN THE KALINSKY BUILDING

Click on photo to see more photos of the Open House at the Kalininsky blg