August 30, 2008

BAPTISM DAY


WHAT A WAY TO START A DAY. WE WERE SO EXCITED TO ATTEND THIS BAPTISM.
THIS SWEET GIRL, ANYA ATTENDED GIRLS CAMP WITH HER COUSIN AND CAME HOME AND SAID, "I WANT TO BE BAPTIZED". SHE HADN'T EVEN MET WITH THE MISSIONARIES YET. SO SISTER HOWARD AND SISTER CHIRAIC STARTED MEETING WITH HER SO THAT THEY COULD TEACH HER ABOUT THE GOSPEL. ELDER HUNT AND ELDER CROSSLEY MET WITH HER AS WELL. TODAY ELDER CROSSLEY BAPTIZED ANYA. WE HAD A TESTIMONY MEETING AFTER THE BAPTISM AND SHE JUST MARCHED RIGHT UP AND BORE SUCH A SWEET TENDER TESTIMONY. THEN OUR WONDERFUL PRESIDENT FRY BORE HIS TESTIMONY IN RUSSIAN. IT WAS VERY touching. IT WAS AN INCREDIBLE DAY. ALEXANDER WHO WAS BAPTIZED A FEW WEEKS AGO WAS A WITNESS DURING THE BAPTISM AND DEEMA WHO WAS BAPTIZED A FEW MONTHS AGO OFFERED THE PRAYER. SISTER VERA'S HUSBAND WHO IS NOT A MEMBER ATTENDED AND OLGA OUR INTERPRETER ATTENDED AS WELL.
The meeting ended with the congregation singing, "I am a child of god" and I couldn't help but remember the first time I heard that song over 22 years ago and how it spoke to my soul.

"I am a Child of God, And he has sent me here, has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear. Lead me, Guide me, Walk beside me, Help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do to live with him someday.

I am a Child of God, And so my needs are great, Help me to understand his words Before it grows too late. Lead me, Guide me, Walk beside me, Help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do to live with him someday.

I am a Child of God, Rich blessings are in store, If I but learn to do his will I'll live with him once more. Lead me, Guide me, Walk beside me, Help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do to live with him someday."

As members of the Church we sing this often. It is probably one of the first songs our children learn to sing. We sing the words but do we really listen to them and think about what they mean. I am a Child of God. Do you realize how awesome that is when you begin to understand what it means to have a Heavenly Father who can lead and guide us through this journey; a Father whose hand is always reaching out to us. and how incredible it is to know that rich blessings are in store for us as we learn to follow him. when you sit in a room of recent converts or people who have not been baptized and you really listen to the inspired words of this song you can't help but be moved.

I looked around the room and was overwhelmed with emotion as I thought about how powerful those words are to someone who is just beginning to comprehend what it means to be a Child of God. I am so grateful to have been able to participate in such a special day. I truly felt the angels rejoice as Anya entered the waters of Baptism.

2 messages from friends and family:

Jane Anne said...

I was just sitting down to write to Michael and thought I'd check out blogs. You've been busy!! I've also noticed in the photos of the elders they are making pretty big knots in their ties...ties are probably the only thing that gives them any variety.

I also love the photo of the girl who got baptized. The Spirit is always strong at baptisms and your discription of the baptism really captured it..

Xana said...

I love to take a peek at your blog, thanks so much for the postings. It makes me realize that there is an important work to be done other than remodeling. I love the ties, bytheway...who wears the pink ones? :)

Shauna J

Saints in Ukraine (put music on pause)

My music


click on the photo to see the captions

Armenia Trip

Our last Zone Conference

Some of the faces we will miss

Our trip to Mariupol

March Zone Conference in Donetsk(click on photo to view a larger version)

Missionaries helping the International Relief Development unload a container from America

Health Fair click on the photo to see what is coming up

To listen to this talk you will need to put the music on pause first

Sometimes we forget what divine gifts we have been given. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 2nd Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Thanksgiving

Look at the fun equipment we got to deliver to this internat for Special Needs children

Europe East Area District Meeting

I LOVE THESE MISSIONARIES

OUR APARTMENT (this is not an average missionary apartment)

THIS IS WHAT MISSIONARY APARTMENTS LOOK LIKE ON INSPECTION DAY

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO SEE A MORE COMPLETE VIEW

LEADERSHIP TRAINING IN THE KALINSKY BUILDING

Click on photo to see more photos of the Open House at the Kalininsky blg