September 30, 2008

I'VE BEEN TAGGED



WHEN I FOUND MYSELF SITTING AT THE COMPUTER READING SOME OF MY FAVORITE BLOGS I CAME ACROSS THIS POST ON Pam's BLOG.

"Oh, that's interesting", I thought to myself, "seven weird, or random things.......... wonder what unusual things I would say about myself?",

and the next thing I knew Pam had mentioned my name in her blog. IT SEEMS SHE WANTS TO KNOW THE SAME THING. AT FIRST I THOUGHT IT WAS A MISTAKE, THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE NAMED MELINDA, BUT THEN I READ FURTHER AND IT SAID, "MELINDA, IN UKRAINE".

There's no doubt about it that must mean she is definitely talking about me. She has tagged me. That means I have to post 7 random/weird facts about myself. And I just have to say. I have been obsessing about it ever since. So I finally decided to just do it now before I made myself sick with worry. So here goes.....

FIRST: I couldn't think of weird facts about myself. And that was making me nervous. I found myself wondering, "am I so ordinary that there is nothing unusual, strange, or weird about me." That in itself is weird. Shouldn't we want to be considered normal. I mean we spend all of our young adult life trying to "fit in", which basically means trying to be like everyone else. Which leads me to

SECOND: I obsess about things. I get completely lost in my head worrying and obsessing about things I have no control over. Like, "should I agree to play this tag game, you know, I am on a mission, I don't want to give people the wrong impression. I don't want people to think I am not working hard on my mission, or that I am spending too much time blogging, which leads me to.......

THE THIRD WEIRD FACT: I worry too much about what other people think. You would think by my age... (we won't talk about that, let's just say, my "over the hill party" seems like a very long time ago.....) I would have conquered that little character defect, but I'm still working on it.

FOURTH: I still have to use my fingers to count. I found myself doing it the other night for Family Home Evening with the Mission President and his wife. I use to hide them under the table, but since I am working on number 3 now, I just let all the fingers fly right in front of everyone.

FIFTH: My husband thought I should mention that I have absolutely no interest in Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings. I have never read a Harry Potter book and I hated the Lord of the Rings movie, it was pure torture for me to sit through.

Sixth: I never ever ever kill bugs, spiders, or insects of any kind, not even an ant. I pick them up and take them outside.

SEVEN: My favorite time of the day is just after we finish our evening prayer and I get to snuggle up next to my husband, who is my very best friend. It is truly a moment when I feel an overwhelming sense that all is well with the world.

So now I get to tag 7 of you. I tag, Mandy, Earlgirl, Abby, Angie, Annie, mothergoose, Stephanie

7 messages from friends and family:

Lisa said...

Oh! It was fun to read these about someone "over the hill" and realize, hey!! She's just like us youngsters! (young, right. Keep dreaming Lisa)

I love that you count on your fingers and my husband always takes bugs outside, too!

McEwens said...

I am SO glad you played along! I wanted to know more!

I have never read any of the Lord of the Ring books either! I dont count on my fingers, I just ask my husband to do the math! LOL How lazy is that!

You are a great missionary! Its been so fun to read your blog!

McEwens said...

What are your rules there? I know when we were in Africa we had to be in the compound by dark. When we were in India, we were in the country so not so many rules.

What is church like there? Are there alot of people joining? Are you all also going through all the visa problems?

Are you like Lisa and having to drive sometimes 5 hours to get to church?

What does it look like there?

Mother Goose said...

I feel honored that you tagged me. Nice to meet ya! I like to snuggle up to my honey too. I too, worry a lot about what others may think, then I buckle up and flick boogers at them, well not really but I want to. Think I need to repent for that?? Well, I guess if I have to ask, I guess I know my answer. BUT none the less, I flick boogies at them. What if I aim low? will that help?

ok, never mind that.

Also because I never knew you before my tag, I was a little wigged out. I felt like I was caught with my panties down. I know you are on your mission but you can still relate to the same feeling. You know, like who is reading me??

So, then I began reading you and checking you out, did you like the phone call that the FBI sent out to all of your family, relatives and neighbors?? Yeah, I got friends in high places, or would you say low places? I guess it's all perspective! LOL
I better go now, since my comment is longer than your original post! I promise I will do the tag. Scouts honor;

Katie Price said...

I don't know you, and am not even sure how I came across your blog. I have always wanted to serve a mission with my husband, but since I have a five year old and a three year old and one on the way, now is probably not the right time:). But I wanted to tell you that your blog just made me so excited for the day when we can devote ourselves to serving the Lord. I cannot wait to be a missionary with my husband, who I adore. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

McEwens said...

Here is a talk you might enjoy
http://speeches.byu.edu/htmlfiles/ShumwayW02.html

My aunt served a mission in Africa. They were also humanitarian missionaries. They work on clean water mostly. I dont know if you ever saw the video in between sessions called acts of God? they are on that. When we went to Africa (She and I) we looked at some of the projects they did, and I meet some of the people. They were so glad to see her again, I heard often what an impact they made. I am sure you are doing the same!

dixiewhitehead said...

Your blogs are so multifaceted. You can be so spiritual and thought-provoking, and on the next blog be so witty and make me laugh out loud.

Today made me laugh because you are so real and I can totally identify with your comments. We women are more alike than we think.

Saints in Ukraine (put music on pause)

My music


click on the photo to see the captions

Armenia Trip

Our last Zone Conference

Some of the faces we will miss

Our trip to Mariupol

March Zone Conference in Donetsk(click on photo to view a larger version)

Missionaries helping the International Relief Development unload a container from America

Health Fair click on the photo to see what is coming up

To listen to this talk you will need to put the music on pause first

Sometimes we forget what divine gifts we have been given. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 2nd Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Thanksgiving

Look at the fun equipment we got to deliver to this internat for Special Needs children

Europe East Area District Meeting

I LOVE THESE MISSIONARIES

OUR APARTMENT (this is not an average missionary apartment)

THIS IS WHAT MISSIONARY APARTMENTS LOOK LIKE ON INSPECTION DAY

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO SEE A MORE COMPLETE VIEW

LEADERSHIP TRAINING IN THE KALINSKY BUILDING

Click on photo to see more photos of the Open House at the Kalininsky blg