February 22, 2009

I'M SICK


When I was a little girl I loved to play doctor. I loved to pretend that my little teddy bears and stuffed doggies were sick and that I could make them better. I would wrap them in blankets, tuck them into their little beds and sing them to sleep. When I got a little older I had a little sister that I "nursed" back to health when she was sick. Holding her hand when she couldn't sleep, and gently stroking her head until at last her little eyes would close and sleep would come.
And then.........
I became a mommy and I had "real" babies to nurse back to health. I stayed up late at night pacing the floors, rocking them, singing to them, and praying for the pain to go away and sleep to bring them relief from the discomfort. I sat in steam filled bathrooms with my "croupy" little boy, I drove my sweet little baby girl to the hospital in the middle of the night with yet another Chronic Ear Infection. It is no wonder that I became a nurse. I love being able to offer solace. I love bringing some badly needed relief from pain and discomfort.
Today I need that
I need some relief from pain and discomfort. I have a terrible cold.
My head feels like it is going to explode, I can't stop coughing, my glands are swollen and my neck hurts,
My chest feels like someone is sitting on it. I am hot one minute and cold the next. I just keep thinking how much we need each other. How good it feels to be taken care of.
I want my mom
I want to be taken care of in a way only a mother can.
I want a warm blanket, hot soup, a cold cloth for my head, and someone to sing to me. My moms not here. So I will have to adjust. I make my own chicken soup. Bruce brings me warm cups of fruit tea, and I count my blessings.
For at least I know that this is a virus and it will run it's course and soon I will be perfectly fine. In a few days I will be able to go for a walk in the snow. I will be able to continue this wonderful work that we have come here to do. This little virus has reminded me to be so grateful for a strong healthy body. And to be grateful that soon I will go home to a mother who loves me and brings me cold compresses and warm blankets when I am sick.

5 messages from friends and family:

Robin said...

Melinda:
I'm so sorry you are sick. I know I am not your mother, but I am your friend and I would love to be able to bring you some homemade chicken soup to help you feel warm and comforted. You will be in my prayers today for a quick recovery.
robin

::Jan:: said...

Hugs from Washington State. I want to make you chicken soup so badly. Take care and get a cozy ole blanket and cuddle up and feel all the love from around the globe.

McEwens said...

Wish I could bring you over some soup and OJ.... so back to bed, tey and rest K

Melinda said...

Thanks to all my blogging buddies for the nice warm hugs from all over the world. I feel better today and know that tomorrow will be even better. Thanks dear friends

dixiewhitehead said...

That brought a smile to my face because I had a terrible cold in January and I wanted the same thing. I'd bring you some soup and a card or book if I were there. I know you'll get better soon. So many blessing are coming your way to a much deserving lady.

Saints in Ukraine (put music on pause)

My music


click on the photo to see the captions

Armenia Trip

Our last Zone Conference

Some of the faces we will miss

Our trip to Mariupol

March Zone Conference in Donetsk(click on photo to view a larger version)

Missionaries helping the International Relief Development unload a container from America

Health Fair click on the photo to see what is coming up

To listen to this talk you will need to put the music on pause first

Sometimes we forget what divine gifts we have been given. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 2nd Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Thanksgiving

Look at the fun equipment we got to deliver to this internat for Special Needs children

Europe East Area District Meeting

I LOVE THESE MISSIONARIES

OUR APARTMENT (this is not an average missionary apartment)

THIS IS WHAT MISSIONARY APARTMENTS LOOK LIKE ON INSPECTION DAY

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO SEE A MORE COMPLETE VIEW

LEADERSHIP TRAINING IN THE KALINSKY BUILDING

Click on photo to see more photos of the Open House at the Kalininsky blg