March 25, 2009

GOING BACK TO AMERICA

Every evening as I sit at my computer I glance over at this........

The red square has been moving quickly these last few weeks. The red square on the 25 means we go home in 40 days.I am excited to get home and see my family. I can't wait for the first time I can put my arms around my children again....or the first time I can sit and read a book to my grandchildren, or tuck them into bed at night......I am looking forward to being there when they wake up from their naps and snuggle into my arms.There are so many things I am looking forward to...............

but the red square on my calender moving furthur down each night means that I will soon be leaving so much behind here....
Yesterday my sweet Annya came over with Sisters Howard and Glenn and we learned how to make Borshe, and then had a beautiful lesson given by the Sisters on patience. Annya gave a wonderful prayer she has been practicing in English.

Then we had a wonderful District Meeting

Today we went back to Ukrainsk one of our favorite places here in Ukraine to visit our friend the Mayor and Nastia who lost her husband during a mining disaster in 2002. We took Sister Fry (our Mission President's wife) with us. We took two guitars and a keyboard that one of our dear friends donated.
We were greeted with so much love and appreciation. We took a tour of a afterschool center where the keyboard was donated.They showed us all the wonderful projects the children do. Sister Fry and I were both given gifts the children have made. We toured the sports school the mayor established as an after school program. Then we met a man who we donated the guitars to so that he can teach children to play. The Mayor could hardly wait to call him and tell him what we were giving him. This sweet man, quickly tuned the guitar and sat and played us a song he wrote for his mother who raised 8 children on her own during the Soviet Era. Then he invited us to his Dasha (summer home) where he has 2 horses and several dogs, and a few goats. He wanted us to stay and have a huge fish he had just (shot?????) We explained that we had to get back to Donetsk.

When we arrived back in town we had time to go take pictures of some DOORS that were purchased with Humanitarian Funds at a Sanitorium for children.Tomorrow we go to Mariupol to take pictures of some Computers, braille paper, and a special blood pressure machine for the blind that the Humanitarian Funds purchased. Then we will try to go do apartment inspections while we are in Mariupol.

Saturday we will attend two baptisms in Donetsk Center Branch and then a Shower for Tonia who is a returned missionary who is getting married in a few weeks. Sister Fry and I are giving her a wedding shower.

So.....

as you can see life here has been amazing and I will definitely miss so much.

but I don't want to think any more about that for now..................

for now......................

I will be grateful for each day we have here and fill them with as much joy as I possibly can.

4 messages from friends and family:

Elder Shipp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hey it's Amy Shipp said...

Oh my goodness! You have so much to look forward to when you get back home to your family! (Soon!!)

But I am sure it will be so hard to leave all the wonderful friends you and Elder Kinghorn have made in Ukraine.

I love how you were invited to eat a "Shot" fish! So funny. Maybe you shoulda taken him up on it! :D What a story!

Jane Anne said...

I can't believe you are so close to coming home...wow, looking back it seems to have gone by so fast.

dixiewhitehead said...

I'm not going to get maudlin every time I comment until you have gone, but I get a pit in my stomach when I think about you going home. Don't get me wrong. I am really happy for you and a post missionary life. You deserve every goodness and blessing and nana hug you'll get.

No, I get maudlin thinking about how you have touched so many people: the people of Ukraine (remember the lady who kept the money you left and gave it to you when you shopped at her kiosk weeks later and you brought her back a gift basket?...and the sweet old nearly blind woman you helped down the street and nearly missed the bus?), missionaries, families of missionaries (esp. MOTHERS), Olga, the children and managers of the orphanages, the humanitarian facilitators, and members of the church. I doubt if you will ever know the scope of your service.

Sister Kinghorn, you are loved.

Saints in Ukraine (put music on pause)

My music


click on the photo to see the captions

Armenia Trip

Our last Zone Conference

Some of the faces we will miss

Our trip to Mariupol

March Zone Conference in Donetsk(click on photo to view a larger version)

Missionaries helping the International Relief Development unload a container from America

Health Fair click on the photo to see what is coming up

To listen to this talk you will need to put the music on pause first

Sometimes we forget what divine gifts we have been given. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 2nd Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Thanksgiving

Look at the fun equipment we got to deliver to this internat for Special Needs children

Europe East Area District Meeting

I LOVE THESE MISSIONARIES

OUR APARTMENT (this is not an average missionary apartment)

THIS IS WHAT MISSIONARY APARTMENTS LOOK LIKE ON INSPECTION DAY

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO SEE A MORE COMPLETE VIEW

LEADERSHIP TRAINING IN THE KALINSKY BUILDING

Click on photo to see more photos of the Open House at the Kalininsky blg