July 15, 2008

MONEY

I decided to venture out on my own again yesterday.
I know, we have already been here 8 months and I am still thinking of my time alone as an adventure.

But this is why

I tried to give the taxi driver. 4 griven for my $3.00 cab ride!!!!!!
Hey, it looked like $4.00. It was two two's. That's 4 dollars right?

Wrong that is 40 cents!!!!!


Well, at least the cab driver and I had a good laugh about it.

So here is the deal.

5 griven is basically the equivalent of 1 USD. 10 griven is 2 dollars, 20 griven is 4 dollars. There is a 20 griven bill, which is not to be confused with a 20 dollar bill.
It is really 4 dollars, well actually it is 20 griven.
And then there are the little coins. I won't even talk about them.
It wasn't that long ago, well maybe 2 or 3 months ago. I left Bruce and Olga (our interpreter) outside a store and I went in to buy some bread. I didn't do so good that time either, I told Olga "I gave her a dollar". I was thinking, what's the problem?, after the lady looked at me strange. Well Olga said patiently,
"Sister Kinghorn that is not a dollar."
It was 1 griven which basically is 20 cents!!!!!
So, you get the picture. Going out alone for me is definitely an adventure.
I don't know how my mind works but I am sure quite different from most peoples. My mind does this filtering thing.
Information in..........let's see will I need this again?........ probably not..............and out it goes.....................
How many things get filed this way? or shall I say, not filed.
I think knowing what the bills are should be a keeper................
Of course I am going to need this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe the fact that I have had Bruce by my side for nearly 30 years and his brain seems to use a more efficient filtering system then mine has contributed to the decisions my brain makes.
I mean why waste important storage space if someone else got it right? All it takes is a quick check, "you got that right" and we're good to go.
Needless to say, It takes money to ride the bus, buy anything at the Reenik, get a drink of water, or use the public restrooms. ..................... you get the picture right?
I'm not even mentioning the Language. It takes a little Russian to.....
I digress......... Let's just say,
I think I better stay close to Bruce for while longer........................

0 messages from friends and family:

Saints in Ukraine (put music on pause)

My music


click on the photo to see the captions

Armenia Trip

Our last Zone Conference

Some of the faces we will miss

Our trip to Mariupol

March Zone Conference in Donetsk(click on photo to view a larger version)

Missionaries helping the International Relief Development unload a container from America

Health Fair click on the photo to see what is coming up

To listen to this talk you will need to put the music on pause first

Sometimes we forget what divine gifts we have been given. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 2nd Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Thanksgiving

Look at the fun equipment we got to deliver to this internat for Special Needs children

Europe East Area District Meeting

I LOVE THESE MISSIONARIES

OUR APARTMENT (this is not an average missionary apartment)

THIS IS WHAT MISSIONARY APARTMENTS LOOK LIKE ON INSPECTION DAY

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO SEE A MORE COMPLETE VIEW

LEADERSHIP TRAINING IN THE KALINSKY BUILDING

Click on photo to see more photos of the Open House at the Kalininsky blg