October 6, 2008

ANGELS AMONG US



I would like to share a few things that impressed me from the Conference Talks this week-end. I began Conference with a prayer in my heart. I was searching for answers. I'd like to share a few of the insights that offered me some reassurance. The first came to me during a talk by Jeffrey R. Holland. He stated,
"In times of special need God sent Angels."

I have always loved this painting of the Pioneers. I have often wondered, "how did they do it? How could they find the strength to bury a husband or child and go on? How could they keep moving day after day with no relief in sight? I have found myself saying, "I couldn't have done it. I am not that strong. I would have given up. Elder Holland went on to say,

"All of us spend time in dark and dreary places in our lives."

God has not asked me to push a hand cart or to leave my home behind to follow a Prophet. He has placed me on this earth to face other trials. There have been times I have thought, "I can't do this, this is just too hard. I too have looked to the horizon and seen no relief in sight. I have wanted to give up and simply say, I am not strong enough, I can't take another step. It is during those dark times when I have felt such despair that my Heavenly Father has sent me a reminder that he has not forsaken me." It is during those times that my loving Heavenly Father has sent me my own personal Angels to help carry the burden. Jeffrey R. Holland goes on to say,
"Some Angels we walk and talk with everyday".

I have had wonderful women come into my life who have offered words of encouragement, who have reminded me that I am a Child of God of infinite worth, who have helped me to believe that my Heavenly Father will never forsake me. I have had Church leaders give me special blessings filled with promises of hope. I have had a loving friend gently put her arm around me and surround me with her love. I know that Angels walk and talk with me daily.

The second message that pierced my soul was one I heard througout the conference in many talks. Gerald Cousse gave a talk on "walking in the light". He said,

"Jesus Christ is the way. Only he can give us strength to bear up the burdens, he heals us, only he can bring us back into the fathers presence." He went on to say, "The Lord said, I am the way, follow me, don't think you can't, you may think it is too hard, too high." He continued, "This is not a human endeavor it is Gods work. It is achievable by everyone, not because we are able but because HE is. The Lord's way is not hard. Life is hard. He said, Come unto me. Never ever give up, just keep on going and don't give up."


Elder Bednar said, "meaningful prayers are an instrumental cry unto God for all thy support."and President Eyring said, "I leave you the Lord's promise that you will have the desires of your heart. Elder McMullin said, "prayer is another way to get God's help. Heavenly Father answers sincere prayers, turn to Heavenly Father in faith." Lastly Elaine S. Dalton said she has a plate that is engraved with "I can do hard things". She has decided that she would like the inscription to now read,

"In the strength of the Lord, I can do all things."

What did I learn from this semi-annual conference?

We all face challenges, life is hard. All of us will have times of darkness and despair. My Heavenly Father knows me personally. He knows the trails that bring me to my knees. I know.............

I am a Child of God of Infinite worth.

He loves me

He hears my prayers

He will send his Angels to bear me up.

D&C 84:88 And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.

He is the light, he has the answers he has the healing balm.

He will not forsake us.

and the last thought I took to bed with me Sunday night was,

"In the strength of the Lord I can do all things."

11 messages from friends and family:

LisAway said...

Thank you for this, Melinda. We have not been able to listen to Conference yet. Thanks for the preview. I can't wait

Jan said...

We don't talk about Angels enough. It was so needed and refreshing to hear about. I loved it. I believe it and I cherish it. Thanks for your insights.

Jane Anne said...

wonderful...thanks

dixiewhitehead said...

The talks and music of this conference meant so much to me. I, too, loved the phrase "In the strength of the Lord I can do all things". What a beautiful sentiment and how true! Thanks for your well-expressed thoughts about conference.

dixiewhitehead said...

Thanks for the peek into the Elders and Sisters cozy and inviting apartments. Very interesting.

Annie said...

I loved your excellent summaries and think I shall copy what you wrote into my "small plates." Thanks!

McEwens said...

Great summary! I agree with Jan, we just dont talk about them enough!

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin said...

Melinda:
Your message about Angels and your comments about conference really seemed directed toward my struggles right now. If I believe all the things you have said, why is it so difficult to apply them. How does one learn to feel worth and value in the eyes of the Lord?

Mother Goose said...

thank you for your wonderful words and beautiful testimony so eloquently shared!

Melinda said...

Robin, I have been thinking so much about your comment below. The answer isn't a simple one. I have always felt like Heavenly Father loved me. I have not always been a member of the church but I always knew I had a Heavenly Father who cared about my struggles. The more I have turned to him through scripture study, prayer, fasting, and temple attendance the more I have experienced his love through spiritual moments that have strengthened my knowledge of his love for me. I use to teach the Young Women alot and found myself often telling them how they were special daughters of a Heavenly Father who knew each one of them personally and one day it hit me that he wanted me to know this for myself. I was there for me more than for the girls I worked with. I hope you come to know and feel this for yourself.

Saints in Ukraine (put music on pause)

My music


click on the photo to see the captions

Armenia Trip

Our last Zone Conference

Some of the faces we will miss

Our trip to Mariupol

March Zone Conference in Donetsk(click on photo to view a larger version)

Missionaries helping the International Relief Development unload a container from America

Health Fair click on the photo to see what is coming up

To listen to this talk you will need to put the music on pause first

Sometimes we forget what divine gifts we have been given. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 2nd Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Thanksgiving

Look at the fun equipment we got to deliver to this internat for Special Needs children

Europe East Area District Meeting

I LOVE THESE MISSIONARIES

OUR APARTMENT (this is not an average missionary apartment)

THIS IS WHAT MISSIONARY APARTMENTS LOOK LIKE ON INSPECTION DAY

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO SEE A MORE COMPLETE VIEW

LEADERSHIP TRAINING IN THE KALINSKY BUILDING

Click on photo to see more photos of the Open House at the Kalininsky blg